Who is responsible for what?
The association is legally responsible for keeping the structure of your home in a good state of repairs. This includes:
- The roof, walls, window, doors and door frames, floor, ceiling and plaster work, skirting boards, drains and gutters.
- The installations for the supply of water, gas and electricity to your home.
- The maintenance of garden fences and boundary walls as well as pathways.
- Maintaining and decorating common halls and stairways.
Tenants are responsible for:
- minor repairs, such as door handles, tap, washers, small plaster crack
- Fitting mortice locks or adding extra security
- Replacing broken window, except where the association is responsible for the breakage
- Maintaining garden
- Internal decoration
- Clearing blocked sinks, WCs and baths where the blockage is caused by a tenant or a member of their household
- Infestation of insect or mice
If you are not sure then it is advisable to check your tenancy agreement.