Paying Your Rent

Karin is a non-profit making organisation. The rent we collect is used for managing our properties and for keeping them in good repair.

It is important that we collect the rent that is due to us. If we do not, we will not be able to provide a service to our tenants. Your tenancy agreement is a legal contract. If you do not keep to it, there are steps we can take to end your tenancy.

Please remember that non-payment of rent can lead to you losing your home.

How Can I Pay My Rent?

Paying your rent on time is vital in maintaining your tenancy. Rent is due in advance every Monday. You can pay using the following methods:

By Standing Order

You can set up a standing order at your bank and our bank details are:

45 Whitechapel Rd
E1 1DU

Account Number: 77469909
Sort Code: 60-14-26

Please ensure your name or address is setup with your payment to ensure it is allocated properly to your account.

Please note that, unlike Direct Debit payments, the amount you pay will not change automatically with any changes in your rent level. You will need to instruct your bank to update the amount paid.

Payment Card

You will be able to pay your rent and service charge using you rent card, at your local convenience store that displays the “PayPoint” sign or at any Post Office.

If you have not received your rent card, please call the office on 0207 392 9622 and arrange a suitable time to pick up your rent card. The card is ready to be used once you receive it.

Please use this method of paying your rent instead of the rent books. Rent books are no longer available.


Difficulty Paying Your Rent

If you are on a low income or unemployed and have difficulty paying your rent, you may be eligible to receive Housing Benefit from your Local Authority or Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions to help with your rent. This should be paid direct to Karin. The amount of help you get depends on how much money you or your partner receive, the size of your family, and how much rent you have to pay. You can ask the Income Officer for more information and advice regarding this.

You may be entitled to other Welfare Benefits such as Income Support or Disability Living Allowance. You can obtain this information from your Local Council, Job Centre or Citizen’s Advice Bureau.